BEETROOT STUFFED PURI
Wheat flour - 3 cups, Beetroot - 1 large, Onions - 2 small, Garlic - 6 to 7 flakes, Ginger - 1/2 inch, Saunf - 1 small spoon, Red chilli powder - 1 spoon, Garam masala powder - 1/4 spoon, Salt - as per taste, Oil - for deep frying.
- Prepare a dough by mixing wheat flour, salt and water. Keep it aside for 20 mins.
- Grate the beetroot and onions. Do not mix them but keep it separate.
- Grind the ginger, garlic and saunf into a fine paste.
- Heat 2 spoons of oil in a pan and fry the ground mixture for a minute.
- Add the grated onions and fry til they are lightly brown in colour.
- Add the red chilli powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add the grated beetroot and mix well. Close the lid of the pan and allow the beetroot to cook well.
- Finally add the garam masala powder and mix.
- In a deep bottom kadai pour about 750 ml of oil and allow it to become hot enough for deep frying.
- Make small balls of dough and roll it twice or thrice (sufficient enough to stuff 1 spoon of the beetroot mixture).
- Put 1 spoon of the beetroot mixture in the middle of the dough and then cover all sides of the dough and press properly.
- Sprinkle little dry flour on the stuffed dough and press it with both hands.
- Now using a rolling pin press little more to make puris.
- Deep fry the puris in the oil till they are light brown in colour.
- Serve it hot.