MENTYA SOPPU UDURU (DRY) PALYA
Mentya soppu - 1 big bunch, Besan (ಕಡಲೆ ಹಿಟ್ಟು) - 1small bowl, Dry red chillies - 2, Jaggery - 1 small piece, Tamarind juice - 4 spoons, Red chilli powder - 2 spoons (depends on the taste), Turmeric powder - 1/2 spoon, Oil - 5 big spoons, Mustard seeds - 1 spoon, Salt as per taste.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds.
- Cut the red chillies into small pieces and fry them in oil.
- Add the finely chopped fenugreek leaves and mix well. Allow it to cook for 5 mins by closing the lid.
- Dry roast the besan for 5 mins on a high flame.
- Mean while make a thick paste of the besan by mixing the besan, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and water. There should be no lumps in the paste.
- Add tamarind juice, jaggery and a little salt to the cooking fenugreek leaves and mix well.
- Allow it to cook for 10 mins.
- Finally add the besan paste to the fenugreek mixture and mix well.
- Keep stirring till the mixture starts getting thicker and it forms lumps when it is cooked full. Remove it from the flame.
- Allow the palya to cool and with your hands break all the lumps slowly.
- Mentya uduru palya is ready to serve with chapati or jowar roti.
Serves: 3 to 4 persons.