Rice (Dosa rice) - 5 cups, Black gram dal (urad dal, ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ) - 2 cups, Methi seeds (ಮೆಂತ್ಯ ಕಾಳು) - 1 spoon, Beaten rice (poha, ಗಟ್ಟಿ ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ ) - 1/4 cup, Channa dal (ಪುಟಾಣಿ) - 2 spoons, Sugar - 2 spoons, salt as per taste.
Preparation of Dosa Batter:
- Wash rice and urad dal properly.
- Soak rice, urad dal, methi, and beaten rice together in water for at least 4 to 6 hours.
- Grind the soaked mixture with channa dal and sugar into a very fine mixture.
- Add salt and mix it properly.
- Batter should be of pouring consistency.
- Transfer the batter into a wider and lengthier vessel as the batter will ferment and raise.
- Keep the batter in warm place to ferment for at least 8 hours.
Freshly grated coconut - 1/2 cup, Dry red chillies - 7 to 8, Garlic - 9 to 10, salt to taste.
Preparation of Red chutney:
- Soak the dry red chillies in water for half an hour.
- Grind all the ingredients in to a fine and thicker paste.
Potatoes - 4 medium sized, Onions - 2 medium sized, Green chillies - 5 to 6, Turmeric powder - 2 pinch, Mustard seeds - 1/4 spoon, Black gram dal (urad dal, ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ) - 1 spoon, Curry leaves - 7 to 8, Coriander leaves finely chopped handful, Oil - 3 spoons, salt as per taste.
Preparation of the Subji:
- Boil the potatoes. Peel them and mash them gently.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the urad dal and fry till it is slightly brown.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies and fry gently.
- Add chopped onions, turmeric and salt. Fry till the onions are cooked.
- Finally add mashed potatoes, coriander and mix nicely.
Preparation of Coconut chutney:
- Grind all the ingredients into a fine paste and add required amount of water.
- Season it with oil, mustard seeds, asafoetida (hing) and dry red chillies.
- Heat a tava and grease it with little oil and sprinkle handful of water.
- Tava should not be very hot so keep the flame medium.
- Mix the batter nicely and take one full laddle of the batter and pour it on the center of the tava and spread it outwards in a circular strokes with the laddle.
- Close the tava with the lid for 30 secs and remove the lid.
- Spread one spoon of the red chutney on the dosa and put little potato subji in the middle of the dosa.
- Roll the dosa and serve it with butter and coconut chutney.