GOLI BAJE (MANGALORE BAJJI)
It is a Mangalorean dish. The name itself describes it "Goli" meaning round like a marble and "Baje" meaning bajji which is a deep fried dish. I like this dish a lot and earlier use to eat this only in hotels. Now being married to a Mangalorean family I got to know its such a simple dish and so easy to prepare this at home.
Maida - 4 cups, Curds - 2 cups, Onion - 2 (optional), Baking soda - 1 spoon, Green chillies - 2, Chopped Coriander - 3 spoons, Oil for deep frying, Salt as per taste.
- Sieve the maida and baking soda together and keep aside.
- Mix all the other ingredients along with the sieved maida and prepare a batter that is thinner than the chapati dough consistency.
- Heat the oil in a deep bottom pan or handi.
- Take small quantity of the batter in hand and slowly drop it from the tip of your fingers in the oil. ( no need to worry about the shape while dropping. make sure you drop it just above the oil and not from very far.)
- Deep fry them till they are deep brown.
- Serve them hot with coconut chutney.
Serves: Makes up to 25 pieces.